Sunday, November 20, 2011

"Fukui City"- Japanese Manhole Cover Quilt - November 16, 2011

"Fukui City"- Japanese Manhole Cover Quilt - November 16, 2011

     This is a photo of the first Japanese manhole Cover quilt that I made.  I was given a small black and white sketch of a manhole cover from Fukui City in Japan by Shirley MacGregor,  a quilt artist from Oregon.
While living in Japan she discovered the beautiful manhole covers that adorn the streets of most cities and towns. This inspired two books, Quilting with Manhole Covers and Treasures Underfoot.
 http://shirleymacgregor.com/about

     I made this quilt using hand painted fabric and black ultra suede.  I machine quilted it and it is 14" in diameter..  I  made this quilt in 1998 and it is published in  Shirley MacGregor's book,  "Quilting With Manhole Covers".  This quilt has traveled all around the world and was shown in many shows and museums.

No comments:

Post a Comment